Hi John;

Am Samstag, 26. März 2016, 15:30:21 schrieb John Sager:
> I am using the same version - 5.2.4 Rev 1. I loaded wget.lrp and resolved
> its dependencies manually (I don't normally use it), and it's not built with
> https support. Downloading the latest wget from sourceforge and resolving
> its extra dependencies manually (libcrypto & libssl), it now fails on the
> certificate check. wget needs the option
> --no-check-certificate. I hacked on /usr/sbin/upgrade to add
> 'alias wget="wget --no-check-certificate"' and  'upgrade -c' then works
> correctly.

You are right.

After 5.24. has been released Sourceforge deciced to replace http with https
only. Therefor upgrade in version  5.2.4  seems to fail.
With 5.25-rc1 upgrade has been updated with the wget option you have mentioned
above for a given reason...

In addition to wget we have had wget-ssl, since wget without ssl support has
been a lot smaller for size-constraint environments.
We've removed wget w/o ssl in 5.2.5-rc1 for security reasons, believing that
size isn't as important as in the old days of floppy uasage and to have *one*
wget package that really works with upgrade.

So in short  - testing upgrade only makes sense, if one tries to upgrade from
5.2.5-rc1.

> I guess the real solution is a version of busybox where its wget supports
> https. The latest busybox (1.24.2) does appear to support https but it does
> it either via openssl (very heavy on libraries) or via a small auxiliary
> program ssl_helper which is statically linked against a small SSL library.

even the busybox wget provided supports ssl, but it'll require openssl.
I wasn't aware of the auxillary ssl_helper, definitely worth to look at it.

thx for the detailed and valuable  feedback
kp