Most of boards have some kind of watchdog on board (in MIO or in south
bridge), or some of them. For ex., iTCO_wdt for Intel, it87_wdt for ITE
MIO, and so on.

But built-in watchdog behavior may differ depending board model (it may
reboot board, or it may just poweroff board, like ITE watchdog on old
Asus K8N).

Also, Intel watchdog driver is loaded automatically, MIO watchdog
drivers are loaded manually (from command line or from /etc/modules).

You can try it - load driver, and then do 'killall -9 watchdog' (to kill
watchdog process & simulate system hangup). If board will be rebooted -
all is OK.