On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 3:02 AM, Val Kulkov <val.kul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 January 2018 at 19:49, Alberto Bursi <bobafetthotm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 01/19/2018 01:05 AM, Val Kulkov wrote:
>>>
>>> There is more than a handful of PRs currently bit-rotting in
>>> openwrt/packages that are ready for merging, with all requested
>>> changes in place since many months ago. Auto-closing such PRs will
>>> offend the contributors who would see their effort go down the drain
>>> only because no one in the LEDE/OpenWrt community had the time to
>>> review and merge their PRs.
>>

>> Github has "labels" for PRs, so I think such timeout should look for "needs
>> changes" label or something like that.
>>
>> See this PR https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/655 (on the right, the
>> red label)
>>
>> -Alberto
>
> Problem is, the "Change requested" label does not necessarily mean
> that the requested changes have not been implemented by the
> contributors.
>
> There have been cases where a PRs gets labelled with "Change
> requested", then the contributor makes all changes as requested, and
> then nothing happens for many months because no one among members with
> write privileges has the time to review and merge the PR.

I feel we are complicating things a bit too much before we've even started :)
I think it would be good to start as simple as possible and see what
other pain-points arise.

Offending people with auto-closed PRs is a potential issue.
This is already [sort of] happening with delayed PRs/submissions.
Best I can think of handling this is the wording of the auto-close message.

But I would not worry about making the lives of contributors easier
[since they come & go].
I would worry about making the lives of core devs easier, since their
number is rarely changing, and they have to put in the effort.