On Wed, Apr 06 2011, Michael Norrish wrote:

> On 6/04/11 6:24 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> I'm getting used to the more complex usages of Ledger, and have a little
>> scenario that I hope someone will help walk me through. I'm running
>> Ledger 3.
>>
>> I have a small company with a few employees, we've just gotten started.
>> I'm a terrible boss -- I was unable to pay salaries for the first couple
>> of months. To make it up I paid part of the salaries out of my own
>> personal account. Later our revenue stream kicked in, and I paid myself
>> back for the salaries.

[...]

> How about
>
> 2011/01/01:
>   Expenses:Salaries:Bob   5000 RMB
>   Liabilities:Deferred Salaries
>
> 2011/02/01:
>   Expenses:Salaries:Bob   5000 RMB
>   Liabilities:Deferred Salaries
>
> 2011/02/20:
>   Assets:Bank Account   10000 RMB
>   Liabilities:Owe Founder
>
> 2011/02/20:
>   Liabilities:Deferred Salaries  20000 RMB
>   Assets:Bank Account
>
> 2011/03/05:
>   Assets:Bank Account  20000 HKD
>   Income:Project1
>
> 2011/03/06:
>   Liabilities:Owe Founder  10000 RMB
>   Assets:Bank Account     -500 HKD

Thanks for the quick and helpful answer! I like the usage of
Liabilities, that definitely seems right. I guess I was originally
wondering if there was something I should be doing with effective dates,
because doesn't the above make it look like money is actually changing
places on January and February first? Or am I misreading this?