On Wed, Apr 06 2011, Peter Ross wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Eric Abrahamsen
> <e...@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

>> [...]
>>
>>> How about
>>>
>>> 2011/01/01:
>>>   Expenses:Salaries:Bob   5000 RMB
>>>   Liabilities:Deferred Salaries
>>>
>>> 2011/02/01:
>>>   Expenses:Salaries:Bob   5000 RMB
>>>   Liabilities:Deferred Salaries
>>>
>>> 2011/02/20:
>>>   Assets:Bank Account   10000 RMB
>>>   Liabilities:Owe Founder
>>>
>>> 2011/02/20:
>>>   Liabilities:Deferred Salaries  20000 RMB
>>>   Assets:Bank Account
>>>
>>> 2011/03/05:
>>>   Assets:Bank Account  20000 HKD
>>>   Income:Project1
>>>
>>> 2011/03/06:
>>>   Liabilities:Owe Founder  10000 RMB
>>>   Assets:Bank Account     -500 HKD
>>
>> Thanks for the quick and helpful answer! I like the usage of
>> Liabilities, that definitely seems right. I guess I was originally
>> wondering if there was something I should be doing with effective dates,
>> because doesn't the above make it look like money is actually changing
>> places on January and February first? Or am I misreading this?
>>
> If I understand correctly
>
> Jan 1 you paid your employees from your personal bank account.

No, that was part of the problem -- no one got paid anything until
February 20 (they are patient people), at which point I gave them two
months' salary. I did want a solution that somehow both indicated when
they were *supposed* to get paid, and then when they *actually* got
paid. If the repayment to myself could be somehow tied to the actual
payments to them, that would be nice, but I don't see how that would
happen.

So I guess my second question (the first was answered by using a
Liability) is how to indicate this date disparity between "supposed to"
and "did"…

> You represent this by adding
>
> 2011/01/01:
>    Expenses:Salaries:Bob   5000 RMB
>    Liabilities:Deferred Salaries
>
> because on Jan 1 Bob was paid 5000 RMB and the money for that payment
> came from a loan which has to be repaid.
>
> Then at some future date you have money in your company account, so
> you can discharge that liability and you record that in your ledger
> so.
>
> 2011/03/01:
>    Assets:Bank   -5000 RMB
>    Liabilities:Deferred Salaries
>
> here you pay yourself back the 5000 RMB you owe.
>
> If you are doing things in multiple currencies, I suggest reading
>
> https://github.com/jwiegley/ledger/wiki/Multiple-currencies
>
> where after my accountant reported that my profit and loss didn't
> match the change in my balance sheet, I had to learn how to properly
> account for currency fluctuations.
>
> The key point is that you have an income stream which is the
> profit/loss you make from currency fluctuations from when you book an
> expense to when you actually pay the expense.

This will come in very handy, thank you.