Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply.

> Yes. You're asserting ???After this transaction that moves $0.00, the
> balance should be $4.55???.

Yep, that's how I've been using that expression for beginning and end
of statement balance assertions, to pre & post declare what the
balance must be at beginning and end of the specified transactions.

ledger3.pdf that I have on hand says:
  6.10.1 Balance assertions
  [..]
        Assets:Cash   $-20.00 = $500.00

  This simply asserts that after subtracting $20.00 from Assets:Cash,
  that the resulting total matches $500.00. If not, it is an error.

>                    $9.10    Expenses

The reversal of values for the balance assertion in your example has
doubled the value of Expenses :(

My example works if I specify the leaf account name for the assertion,
but not anything higher.

Thanks,

Chris