On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Chris Bennett <ch...@ceegeebee.com> wrote:

> > I remember this coming up in the ML in the past, but can't find a
> > reference.  I want to refactor some of my accounts & transactions, but
> > want to avoid breaking the resultant value for top level accounts
> > (since the data has already been reported to the government and I
> > don't want that to change by my refactoring :)).
>
> Just wondering if anyone had ideas on how I can maintain consistency
> at the top level accounts for amount, whilst refactoring transactions
> amongst the lower level accounts in the hierarchy?

In Beancount balance assertions apply to parent accounts for the total
balance of the parent & all its children accounts.
(Like for leaf accounts, the balance is checked for each commodity, i.e.,
it's not a total balance check.)

My main use for this is in a 401k account where the OFX download provides
the total number of shares broken down by fund type for the entire account,
but I have to maintain separate subaccounts by source (e.g. pre-tax, match,
after-tax, rollover).

I'm not sure what how Ledger handles balances for parent accounts, would
love to hear how it works.