Hi there,

I use assertions for account statements, opening & closing balances
etc.

I have quarterly reporting requirements for my business and would like
to add some additional assertions for some of the top level accounts
(Expenses, Income).  I don't seem to be able to make this work.

In a test file:

2015/10/01 Light Refreshments
  MyCompany:Expenses:LightRefreshments               $4.55
  MyCompany:Liabilities:AP:LightRefreshments

$ ledger -f test.ledger bal
                   0  MyCompany
               $4.55    Expenses:LightRefreshments
              $-4.55    Liabilities:AP:LightRefreshments
--------------------
                   0

$ ledger -f test.ledger bal ^MyCompany:Expenses --depth 2
               $4.55  MyCompany:Expenses

But when I assert a balance for the Expense account, it errors:

2015/12/31 MyCompany:Expenses closing balance
  MyCompany:Expenses                                 $0.00 = $4.55
  Equity:Dummy

$ ledger -f test.ledger bal
While parsing posting:
  MyCompany:Expenses                                 $0.00 = $4.55
                                                             ^^^^^
Error: Balance assertion off by $4.55

I remember this coming up in the ML in the past, but can't find a
reference.  I want to refactor some of my accounts & transactions, but
want to avoid breaking the resultant value for top level accounts
(since the data has already been reported to the government and I
don't want that to change by my refactoring :)).

Any suggestions on how to do what I want?

Thanks,

Chris