I'm no accountant or Ledger expert, but as I understand it, this is why
Ledger supports cleared, uncleared, and pending transactions.

See http://ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#Transactions-and-Comments for
details on how it works. Personally, I don't find the full spectrum of
markings to be necessary; I just add a transaction when I initiate it and
update it with the asterisk at the end of the week.

(DATE ACCOUNT etc. -> DATE * ACCOUNT etc.)

There are commands to display balances of only cleared amounts, etc. I
don't use them much, but you can read about them here:
http://ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#Cleared-Report.

Jacob.