On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Brian Exelbierd <b...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 09:39 PM, o1bigtenor wrote:

>> > I don't have a lot to add here as I don't need ledger to do this.  It
>> > seems like this is something where you will need to teach the rules to
>> > your bookkeeper and have them apply them.  I don't think ledger could do
>> > this automatically.  If the rules are fairly fixed and their application
>> > is fairly predictable, you might be able to set up some Automated
>> > transactions to trigger them based on a tag.
>> >
>> > I think part of your question is "How do I get the personal part into my
>> > personal bookkeeping without giving my bookkeeper all of my personal
>> > files?"  If this is the case, I think could store your personal files
>> > somewhere only you can get to and use an include directive to include
>> > the relevant business files.  You'll probably get a little bit of
>> > business cruft in your reports, but you may be able to exclude it by
>> > using a 'not' expression.
>>
>> Its not the 'personal' part that I'm concerned about - -- its the math. I
>> do a lot of the math in my head (use the calculator to calculate 1
>> number and then do the addition/subtraction in my head - - - have
>> found that few people do things this way and there are a lot of places
>> to make mistakes - - - that's the primary reason I want to automate
>> this part.
>
> This is a horrible hack:
>
> 2017-01-01   foo
>    Expense:foo     0.25 PERC
>    Expense:bar     0.33 PERC
>    Expense:zed     0.42 PERC
>    Income  -$20
>
> ledger -f blah b -X \$ -H
>
> If you only use USD and don't track any other commodities, this would
> allocate a single expense by percentage across categories.  No math, but
> ugly!

The challenge here is that I'm working in 1 currency but using 3 (as per
GAAP rules). I had thought of something like your hack but when its
something like gasoline (better termed fuel these days in NA) there might
be 10+ foos and they all need the same formula so a formula based on
the vendor will be difficult.

Wonder what others out there have used for this. Business use of personal
expenses is a great tool for reducing taxes payable. Make sure you're not
trying to scam the system (its unlikely that your all your travel expenses
are business expenses but if you can show a log where 65% of the distance
traveled in a few discrete periods was for business then 65% of vehicle
expenses are business expenses and that includes depreciation!).

>> > We are in the process of adopting ledger for the Fedora Project, a large
>> > Open Source project.  We wanted a way to have multiple treasurers, card
>> > holders, and others all contributing to a single set of books.  What we
>> > have done is put our files in a git repository.  We divided the
>> > transactions into multiple files by relationship (relevant to our
>> > spending habits) to minimize the likelihood of having simultaneous
>> > edits.  However, by using git we are able to ensure that if there is two
>> > people edit and create a conflict, it gets flagged and someone has to
>> > sort it out.
>> >
>> > I hope to publish a blog soon on how the system works (it is actually
>> > pretty simple) and how our automated reporting works.
>> >

>> Interesting - -- now if I could run git completely in house (so far
>> I've only used
>> it as a repository for other people's software stuff) then that would be
>> interested. I am not interested in my financial information being on the
>> web rather I want all of that on a very controlled protected system.
>
> It is very possible to run it in your home.  You can get fancy with
> something like pagure.io, gitlab, or GOGs.  However you can just run git
> with ssh in your home as well.  It all depends on your level of IT
> skill.

I'll check into this as this would get me part of the way toward what I
want. Thanks for the tips!!

Dee