On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 11:59 PM, John Wiegley <jo...@newartisans.com> wrote:

> o> Sort of if the account entered is foo at amount xx.xx then I would call
> o> 'something' (don't know what to call it - - - sorry) and then in my text
> o> file (I'm using leafpad because I'm finding it faster for text entry than
> o> vi which is my low level text editor of choice) I would see 4 lines of text
> o> populated with amounts related to xx.xx.
>
> I didn't quite follow your examples. Could you please try again?

(short example for the entry item.) (copied)
This is your example for calculations with a fourth item (second tax) using
the calculations I would need to use to get results to the accounts I am
using.

 (2017-01-01   foo
        Expense:foo    (0.20($20 * 100/105))
        Expense:bar    (0.80($20 * 100/105))
        Expense:tax (on foo portion)    (0.20($20 * 5/105))
        Expense:tax (on bar portion)    (0.80($20 * 5/105))
        Income  -$20

Is this how I could be entering it?
I haven't been because that formats 'messy' and that makes it harder
to see if there are errors in input.)

I'm wondering if this a place to use 'meta data' but I haven't tried anything
in that line yet.

Previous 2nd example.
(example for multi-item rounding error

There is a 2 level tax (some items are no tax, some items (most) have
tax A and B, some have only tax A some only have tax B (and to make
sure its kinky, tax B is for a some items (rarely) different).

2017.01.20    foo sales co
    Expense: foo A: 1234.12.12.12             (tax A no tax B)  123.12
    Expense: foo B: 2234.23.23.23             (tax A tax B)        23.45
    Expense: foo C: 3234.32.32.32             (tax A tax B)        12.12
    Expense: foo D: 4234.42.42.42             (tax A tax B)        51.23
    Expense: Tax A: 5234.00.00.00                                        x.xx
    Asset: back account ert: 1211.01.01.01                     total
amount

My jurisdiction rules tell me that tax B is to be included in the cost of
the item but because tax A, that I have paid is refundable to me, then
I need to break it out and keep track of it. When I charge tax A or tax
B then I need to remit it. With tax A my tax amount payable is reduced
by the amount of tax A that I have paid (as a business).)

With this second example I am trying to show that in a multi-line invoice;
where some items have 1 of 2 taxes, some have both and some have none;
that rounding issues start happening. At the point of sale the cost of the
objects are first totaled, then taxes are applied where appropriate and they
are totaled, following with the tax totals being added to the object totals.
Arithmetically when the stated percentage of tax is added to the individual
items rounding occurs. When there are say, a number of roundings up (or
down) then an error is created when comparing the total generated using
individual items (with individual taxes) as compared to a combined total
with overall taxes. The error is never large (maximum +/- $0.01 per item)
but there definitely is a nuisance factor to the error. (Added time for the
correction.) Not sure if there is an elegant way to avoid this but I thought
that it would be worth asking.

If these examples are still confusing, well then I would apologize but this
is what I do regularly in ledger but I use a calculator to calculate the
values and then I just transfer those values into the ledger document. I'm
just trying to streamline things, make for a lower likelihood of errors and
have something that I could get someone else who isn't 'math comfortable'
to do the actual inputting.

I am not a programmer having viewed computers as tools for the 30 some
years that I have had them. Am finding that I am beginning to learn to
program because what I want (in certain areas) just isn't available. This
to say that as I read the manual and begin to understand what it is that
you've (John) done 'under the hood' - - - well - - -  its elegant and
it works well.
Your documentation is great unlike a lot of the open source stuff I've
tried to read. Thank you!

Regards

Dee