Interesting -- had I known about .ledgerrc, my bash aliases could have been
much simplified. :-)

I started using --market to avoid seeing different commodity amounts, and
getting output like this (without the rc file):

--market --yearly --collapse reg

<no output>

--market --yearly --collapse reg ^e

17-Jan-01 - 17-Dec-31       <Total>                 $44.63      $44.63
18-Jan-01 - 18-Dec-31       <Total>                 $81.27     $125.90

--market --yearly --collapse reg ^a

17-Jan-01 - 17-Dec-31       <Total>                $-11.76     $-11.76

And then with your rc --empty setting, I get:

--market --yearly --collapse reg --empty

17-Jan-01 - 17-Dec-31       <Total>                      0           0
18-Jan-01 - 18-Dec-31       <Total>                      0           0

With similar test data I had a scenario where I'd only get data for the
year that has investment stuff. I tried several variations with rc settings
as in your file but --empty was the only thing that made a difference.

And --empty might do the job for me since all I'm trying to do is determine
what years have data for a given set of filters.

Thanks again for your help!

Scott