On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 11:02 AM Kent R. Spillner <kspill...@acm.org> wrote:

> > One thing I'm running into - - - invoicing is about AR (accounts
> > receivable).
> > Ledger does a very very nice job of AP (accounts payable) but there is
> > one thing both share is that there comes a need for a numbering scheme.
> > Like transaction AP # 0245078 refers to the invoice on 2021.12.23
> > providing with the updated drive on Santa's chariot (LOL) that I bought
> > (goofy example).
>
> I've been using the code field for this:
> https://www.ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#Codes

(LOL) More hidden gems to be found!!

OK - - - that would work - - - - now to keep one's numbering consecutive.

I will admit to populating my ledger file with say my most common transactions.
So the power bill, the phone bill, the ISP bill and the like.
This means that for 2022 there are some 6 bills already entered.
Now when the actual information is entered there are changes - - - sometimes
the date (sometimes that doesn't change - - - grin!), the amount and the
payee.  Then there are the times I find an invoice in the wrong place - - - so
it was paid in say April and I find it in October and then its time to
enter the
information. It might be challenging to maintain a consecutive numbering
scheme.

Any ideas?

(Wondering if this is already hiding in  the code - - - - chuckling!)

What a neat program!!