From: leedslist-boun...@gn.apc.org [mailto:leedslist-boun...@gn.apc.org] On
Behalf Of Simon Austin
Sent: 03 December 2010 22:25
To: leedslist@gn.apc.org
Subject: Re: [LU] Non LU - More on World Cup

On 03/12/2010 21:23, John Sykes wrote:
> If no one else, ITV, SKY or whatever was going to air with the story
> of corruption, then why did BBC have to do it when they did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2010/11/fifa_football_panorama.html

"In terms of its timing, we only obtained the list of these payments last
month after a secret out-of-court settlement was reached in June
2010 year. That followed an investigation into the ISL bribes by a Swiss
magistrate and concluded with unnamed Fifa officials paying back £3.5
million.

It has taken many weeks to ensure that the allegations we are making were
properly tested and that all those named were given a fair opportunity to
respond.

There have also been calls for us to put the programme out after the vote on
the bid. I understand why people feel strongly about us not tipping the
chances against England's 2018 bid.

But surely it's right for the British public to be informed about the nature
of Fifa and its demands before we win - if we do?"