As I said, "invest[ment] into productive enterprise" - if you are a baker,
you probably won't be able to manually make bread anymore (in economically
significant quantities) once your in your 70s - if though you invest in a
bread making machine with some of your surplus during your productive years
then the bread continues to be made after you are in your dotage, so you can
continue to eat even though you are no longer directly productive.

British and American business preferred to spend the surplus that should
have been set aside for pension investment on excess profits (mostly
dividends to their shareholders) rather than on productive investment.

Like I said I have a great deal of respect for actuarial science, and I
don't think there are any surprises in life expectancy today that weren't
forseen (and factored into pension calculations) 25/ 30 years ago. The big
"surprise" for companies and therir pensioners is that we don't live in a
perpetual bull-market - but then again when you look at the share of profits
in our GDP I think that the companies knew that from the beginning!

Damian

PS - Class traitor! Wages slaves do what the're told.....