Just back to base in the deep South of France after an epic trip to
Southampton. Haven't had time to read any emails, so I apologise if my views
are repeating what's already been said.

First thing.................on the long drive back, I was not too downhearted.
The last time I saw a season's opening game, we lost 5-2 at
Newcastle..............and ended up getting promoted. Good omen then. And, this
was a similar game................last time that fat bastard Micky Quinn had 4
chances and buried them all; this time, Soton barely threatened us, but they
put 3 chances away very well.

We didn't play great, but we weren't that bad either. I said to my daughter
that we need to get through the first 10 mins without conceding............and
they scored immediately. I think if they hadn't got that goal, we would have
gone on to take control and we'd have nicked it 1-0.

Plus points: Clayton. Loooks a really good player in the middle there. Brown:
quality and experience, just what we hoiped for and need. Kisnorbo: I think he
was at fault initially for the 2nd goal, but otherwise brought much more
stability to the back 4. Max: brilliant at times in the 1st half. I worry that
he is just too good for our league and ought to leave. Howson: very good.
McCormack: lively and good movement.

Minus points: Lonergan: Did i read that he fell out of favout at Hudds b/c he
lost his confidence? Looked lacking in confidence to me. Should he have saved
the 1st goal? Maybe he was unsighted. One good save just after the 2nd goal
though. Connolly: Very poor on the ball. O Dear: Heard on the radio that
Celtic's LB had smashed his leg up. Does that mean they'll be asking for him
back? I hope so. Nunez: Gave the ball away twice in very dangerous places.