It's staggering that after a season were the most successful teams - most
obviously Leicester but also, in terms of exceeding expectations, Tottenham
- showed what playing with pace could do. Vardy and Kane were unplayable
when facing the goal; Alli could ping it any which way before you'd clocked
the movement of the defender bombing up the side because you had your eye
on Erikssen... Yet time after time last night, England moved the ball to
the edge of the penalty area and... stopped. They just stopped. They
waited, politely, for the Icelandic defence to get themselves organised,
and then crossed the ball to one of their defenders or had a shot that
either went wide or straight into the defender standing in front of them.

In Hodgson's defence, Vardy's great threat is when he gets alongside the
last man and runs, and most teams didn't allow the space for that. On the
other hand, the prick took one winger. Not even enough for one team.