Hurrah, only two home games to go - only (half) joking, I love going to ER and
the match day experience, however poor the football is at timesI was at the bar
getting the beers in when a lad in front of me got the team news on his phone ,
a debut for Paudie O'Connor , fair enough we agreed with Cooper, Pennington and
Shaunessey all out injured. It was a case of pick him or put Berardi at centre
back and give Pearce another run out - difficult to argue  either way. Ekuban
was dropped following his failures to score when one on one in the last two
games. Then he pointed out a lad called Callum Nicell was on the bench. No-one
had a clue who he was , of all the u23s who are close to a call up , this was a
new one on us all - Oriel Rey, fair enough, Ousim Bouy, at least we have heard
of him, Madger Gomes , OK crap but he has played before, or even Jack Clarke or
Sam Dalby etc but Callum Nicell , no idea, and no reason as to why he got the
nod.
Whatever we made our way to the ground along with 30, ooo other fans, OK a drop
of 5,000 from Bolton game but this lot all had to pay for their ticketSo at
home v the joint bottom team in the League , a team who have won 6 games out of
40 and have a minus 29 goal difference. Fair enough they were playing to stay
up and we were playing because we have a few more games before we go on our
holidays - what could go wrong ?In some ways it was not a bad game, insomuch as
there was lots of incident and chances at both ends - a good game for the
neutral if you could be bothered and did not care about skill , class or
football abilityIt is hard to recall which team did what and when (I had a lot
to drink and a lot of  meds, more so than normal) but they hit the post and the
bar, we (Saiz) hit the bar with a free kick, and both keepers made a few decent
saves and both team missed chances, so in a way this could have been 3 or 4
each.
We started brightly and it was soon clear why they are being relegated - Vieira
(getting back on form) went close with a decent shot and then Pablo sent a
great shot whizzing past the far post .At the other end BPF, looking more and
more like a decent keeper made a couple of saves and got lucky when their lad
missed a free headerAt half time we went off to a reasonable reception and we
all thought it was only a matter of time. I also told those near me that the
first goal would be the key - whoever got it would winI have no idea what was
said at half time, probably 'keep going and it will come' from Heck - 'they are
shit, get attacking them' from Coleman. Whatever the case they started the half
as if they meant business and got us on the back foot, then after less than 5
minutes a cross into the box, their stiker made a run in front of the defenders
and lashed it high into the net from a tight angle -a good finish and even
though it meant BPF was beaten at his near post , he had no chanceThis was the
confidence boost they needed and we were rocked
They had a couple more chances to put it beyond doubt but BPF stood tall and
made a couple of decent saves as we got out act together and Saiz and Hernandez
showed their classSaiz was part of a lovely move that ripped them open but
Saiz's shot was well saved. Then Saiz fed a great ball into Pablo who took a
touch, sent the defenders one way and placed it with style into the corner - 1
1
A thunderous free kick that hit the bar from Saiz and a great cross that did
not quite get to Alioski stopped us getting the winner.Then as the clock was
ticking down and a draw was looking inevitable Berardi was nutmegged on the
half way line by the touchline, no way was the lad going to do that and get
past him as Berardi dived in. Ref thought it was worse than we did and went for
his red ( from my spot nothing like as bad as the foul on Lassaggo at
Fulham)That left us with a man short and with 5 minutes added on- we survived
but only just as BPF was called into action on a few occasions in this 5 mins
including one great tip over the bar, and so a game we should and could have
won (or lost) ended up with a draw, no use to them in their fight against
relegation and not much use to us with only 2 games leftON the plus side, Pablo
again showed class and is worth a new contract, Vieira is getting his mojo back
and will be a good player next season, BPF is looking like he may just be good
enough to be number 1 next season, Paudie O'Connor played well enough to keep
his place for the rest of the season and may be a decent back up centre back
next season.
The bad side, we still have no real identity and no idea what kind of team we
are or how we play - it is back to the drawing board in the closed seasonNo
idea if Nicell will be the next 'new kid on the block' or if his listing as a
sub will be his only ever appearance on the team sheetDavePS Sorry if this
report is a bit messier than normal but I was very drunk and had even more meds
than normal so everything is a bit hazy