Well that is our great run over after 2 good wins
Knew things were going to be bad from the minute we got on the train. Could not
find the correct carriage for our seats- turns out a 5 carriage train had benn
reduced to 3, so my lad had to stand throughout.  Then a bloke with his bag on
the seat told a lad the seat was only for someone wearing a mask. Cue lots of
arguments between mask wearers and those without, fun times
After a few pints including sharing a 10% proof guava and banana smoothie ( was
as bad as it sounds) we went for the bus to be met by the 'covid police' who
checked covid status and gave you arm bands.
Another pint in the fanzone as we discussed the team selection.  I said that
James as centre forward was ok away when we were relying on breakaways but not
at home when we would be on the front foot. Unfortunately I was proved to be
correct as James missed our 2 best chances and no-one was on the end of a few
great crosses tailor made for Bamford or any proper CF.
We started well with Rodrigo pulling stings and looking good, Raphinha had a
turn that left the defender in knots on the floor as we mainly started where we
left off at west ham.  With no proper presence up top and them defending like a
team fighting for their premiership future we had little to show for it- so
much so that my mate suggests that even playing well there is no threat from
him and we should get rid
At the other end Struik and Llorente kept both Wood and Maxim quiet.
As the game progressed it had 0 0 written on it but with the hope / worry that
a mistake or piece of brilliance would win it.
MB then , to the consternation and frustration of many  brought on Roberts
rather than Geldhart.  It did not take long for Tyler to give his detractors
something to moan about.  He lost the ball inside the Newcastle half and their
break was only stopped by Llorente grabbing a shirt. A free kick in a decent
position for them but no real concern.  A fairly tame effort lookd to be saved
by Meslier but the ball squirmed through his arms and into the net. Terrible
error and will not help Grandad's attempts to get the chant " ooh aah  Meslier"
reverberating around the stadium ( grandad is the 'character ' who stands
behind me.
After the goal we had one great chance to equalise but James got the ball stuck
in his feet.  We did bring on Geldhart but it is too much to expect miracles
from him every time and he struggled to make any impact against a team who had
the bit between their teeth at this point. Mes made another error losing the
ball as he saved but then made up for it with  good save.
The game petered out from our point of view as we failed to make any real
progress and so our winning streak came to an end.
One other point - when are refs going to try and stamp out time wasting and
fake injuries / play acting. Newcastle were at it from the first second ,
taking ages over every throw and free kick, and giing down rolling around like
they were seriously hurt only to come straight back on and run around ? It
really is infuriating
Whether the result hurts us will depend on the next 3 games- villa and Everton
away and scum at home. Beat at least one - especially if it is Everton and we
will be fine. Yesterday was a chance to get out of the relegation fight,
unfortunately we are still in it but favourites to survive.
Fingers crossed for Bamford etc to come back sooner rather than later and for
the siging of the yank from red bull to go through