First off, thank you all for your comments. I am learning a lot.

The accuracy I am concerned with is that of the setup.  How accurate does
the setup have to be to get rid of the ridges that remain after I turn the
work piece to diameter.

The attached photos will (I hope) show the ridges.

The process I am using is:
1. Set the bit height,
2. start at the tail end,
3. place the center of the bit about 1/2" to the rear of the center of the
cylinder,
4. router carriage fixed,
5. rotate the work piece 1 revolution.
6. Move router abour 5/8" to the right
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until reaching the head end of the work piece.

The ridges can easily be felt and are not just a bit of fuzz.  They don't
sand off very well at all.