From: "CURTIS GEORGE" <curtgeo...@wowway.com>
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:41:54 AM
Subject: Re: Accurate setup

HI Jim
There has been a lot of good information given here on your topic.
Have you tried to make one very light pass on the wood and see the results?
Yes set-up and alignment is important, and making sure that the router bit is
true too. BUT for what I see form your picture it could just be your feed rate,
and or perhaps hogging off to much wood in the final pass. (how much wood was
removed on the last pass?)
Before I had my motor drive, I use to get best results by turning the spindle
two-three time for one rev. of the carriage. ( that took a lot of work,and a
little skill to keep the tempo uniformed. but did have good results. )
Another way or moving the carriage by hand and turning the spindle with the
crank handle.

Today I have two motors on my machine, one for the spindle and the second on
for the carriage movement, I get the best results, running to two motors at the
same time, (no gears linkage.) the spindle moves something like 80 rpm and the
carriage crawls along the wood. (maybe a 1/2 or under per rev. of the spindle?
Lets, just say it moves SLOWLY.) I get Very good results with this method.

Bill. a while back hooked up two different sized sprockets onto his machine
with a chain. as was able to get a 4-1 (??? I think?) gear ratio that made a
very nice cut. (Bill feel free to chime in on this one Please.)

Jim. its called Trial and error method. Try,try and try again, there is no such
thing as failure, You just need to learn what doesn't work,and then don't do
that again ! ;-)

Its late.
Good night, and good luck on your practicing.