Bill Rhodes wrote:
Thanks to all who responded to my request for help and advice. I have spent the last day or so checking them all out.

----snipped-------

My
question is, will it or any of the other for sale OCR's do a better job than the FreeOCR, or do they all work the same and produce innaccurate copies that have to be "cleaned up"? If Abbyy frexpress produces fairly clean & accurate copies it might be worth the $50.

----snipped-------

Bill,

I have tried several OCR programs, both free and commercial. Believe it or not I found that FreeOCR did the best of all of them. An old document may give errors but it will with all the OCR engines.

With FreeOCR you can select a section of the document and enlarge it some. I have found that this sometimes helps with the accuracy. The fact that it has an original window and an edit window also saves having to use Transcript, another useful program.

--
Gene Y.
n2kvs