Thanks to all who responded to my request for help and advice. I have
spent the last day or so checking them all out.
     To Ward & Carl - no, OCR is not included in my Scanner which is an
Epson Perfection  4490. To JLB, the docs I want to copy are way to long to
do a split screen and type. That is what I am trying to avoid. And to
Dennis, I have scanned as jpg. and saved to file but cannot do a c&p - not
possible, and I do not want to insert an image into Legacy.To John R., I
checked out IrisPro v.10 and it looks very good, but as you say it is
"spendy" - way too much for my budget. To Grover O. & Gene Y. - I downloaded
the Free OCR and it is easy to use and it works. The only drawback is that
(at least with old copies of old docs) it comes up with some strange words &
symbols which require a lot of correcting and cleaning up, but I may be able
to live with it. To Dennis K. the Abbyyusa frexpress at $50 for the download
version looks good. My question is, will it or any of the other for sale
OCR's do a better job than the FreeOCR, or do they all work the same and
produce innaccurate copies that have to be "cleaned up"? If Abbyy frexpress
produces fairly clean & accurate copies it might be worth the $50. I would
be interested in hearing your comments or suggestions.
Thanks again for eveyone's help - really great!!

Bill Rhodes