Bill Rhodes wrote:
Many thanks to all who responded to my second request. Lots of great suggestions! For the time being I think I will stick with FreeOCR recommended by GeneY which seems to work fine for my use. One question, Gene - is a tutorial available somewhere for FreeOCR? I'm figuring out a few things by trial and error but a users manual or tutorial would probably make it easier.

The ownership of this program has changed recently and V 3.00 is supposed to be out soon. All the online documentation from the original creators is gone. I did find this, below, at the new owners site. I guess we have to wait for help.

BEGIN QUOTE
After downloading Free OCR double click to install. The software is very simple to use. Start by clicking the open button and try some of the included sample scans, these samples are part of the ISRI OCR Performance Toolkit which can be found here: http://www.isri.unlv.edu/ISRI/OCRtk

Please note that the Tesseract OCR engine requires images at a resolution of 200 dpi or greater and as such it is not suited for reading PC screen shots which are only about 72dpi although we have made some enhancements in V2.3 which will produce better accurarcy from low quality image sources.

Manual zoning, this allows you to select an area to process. This helps to increase the accuracy by eliminating borders, pictures ect. Also this makes the software useable to OCR documents which contain columns.

To select an area just draw a box on the image with the mouse using the left button.

END QUOTE

--
Gene Y.
n2kvs