On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 18:59:50 +0100, ronald ferguson <ronfe...@msn.com>
wrote:

>As I said in my first email, mine shows the full names and I was unable to
>replicate your result - hence the problem seems to be somewhere in your
>settings and not in the program.

Ron:

Try creating a simple 3 person database...

        Aaron Smith married Bertha Jones and had son Ron Ferguson

Chose the option to include a main entry for all individuals and then
run the Descendant Book (Modified Register) report.

I get...

        2.  Ron Ferguson [3] (Aaron1).      [[ the 1 is superscripted ]]

So it appears that Legacy "assumes" all children have the father's
surname?

I just noticed a real example of this in my database. My g-grandfather
Julius Franz KOWALLEK's 1st child was born prior to his marriage to my
g-grandmother. She was recorded in the birth register as Bertha Ottilie
WITTKOWSKA. So she shows up in the Modified Register report as Bertha
Ottilie WITTKOWSKA (Julius Franz).

This could be problematic in regions (like Poland) that use -SKI/-SKA
surname endings depending on the gender of the individual. Or -OV/-OVA.
I'm sure there are other examples.

I wonder if there is a website that describes a standard for descendant
reports? If there is, I couldn't find it.

In the absence of said standard, I'm inclined to agree with Ruth that
this is a bug.

--

Dennis Kowallek (LTools)
http://zippersoftware.com/ltools