I do pretty much the same. I call it "Census", but in the description, I type
"United States Federal" because then it reads "She appeared on the United
States Federal census..." In the date field, I record the official date of the
census in that particular year. (When transcribing the census record, I place
the actual date the census was taken in the event detail text/comments field,
along with the transcribed info, and copy it again into the notes for the
event. That way, I can see at a glance when I open the event what is in there,
rather than having to go back through the various screens to get to the info.
And yes, I do definitely transcribe everything. It gives one a glimpse into
what life was like then, as opposed to just having names/dates/places.)

Roxanne Baird