From: Mark Wilson <dmwil...@dishmail.net>
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 6:28:02 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Entering US Census Information

For my US Census events, I have created events named "Census, US
Federal," "Census, US Federal Slave Schedule," and "Census, US State."
(The US State part may seem redundant, however, it differentiates the
census event from a state within another country.)

Most of my census entries are the "Census, US Federal" event.

In the description field, I enter, for example, "page 15C (362); roll
T9_1322; enumeration district 135."  The page number in parenthesis
indicates a page number applied to the document after the census was
taken.  (Sometimes the original page number must be determined by
examining pages before and/or after the page in question.)  The roll
number identifies the original film roll number of the document.  (I get
the roll number information from the source citation of each census
image on Ancestry.com.  You must be an Ancestry subscriber to access
this information.)

In the date field, I use the date of the enumeration shown on the census
sheet, for example: "07 Jun 1880."

In the place field, I obviously enter the place where the census
enumeration was taken, such as: "Precinct 1, Parker County, Texas, USA."

When I save a copy of the census image, I give it a filename using the
following format:  "Census, US Federal - 1880 Precinct 1, Parker County,
Texas (p 15C).jpg."  This way, I can just look at the file and know it
pertains to the "Census, US Federal" event.  It tells me the year and
place where the census was taken.  Also, in this example, I know that
the image is of page/sheet 15C of the enumeration.  (I use the original
sheet number found on the document.)

Then under the notes tab, I first place dwelling information, e. g.,
"dwelling 127 / 127, line 47."  For me, this indicates the order of the
visitation of a particular dwelling and the order of the visitation of a
particular family.  The line number is, of course, the line on which the
individual is shown.  (The line number changes with each individual in
the family.)

I then double space and enter the information for the entire family
similarly to the way Michele Lewis does it, as in her example below.  I
use bold font on the individual with whom I'm documenting so that he/she
stands out from other family members.

When finished, my entries looks something like this:

Event: Census, US Federal