Randolph,

To see whether or not I have an image for a particular person, I look at
my "Census, US
Federal" events for that individual.  If it has an associated image
attached for that event, then there will be a "+" sign showing at the
right side of the event line.  (This is viewing with the "Individual's
Information" window open.)  If there is no "+" sign, then I know that I
need to add an image for the census event.

By using the file structure (for census events) that I use, I can then
associate the same image with many individuals.  I don't have to have
numerous copies of the same image that way.  Also, by using the file
structure that I use, I can ensure that there will never be a duplicate
census image that may be under a different filename.

This may, or may not, make sense to others, however, it provides me an
orderly way to maintain my census images.