To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: 07 October 2009 20:42
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] No report indices in text format, & other bugs in reports

A pdf file is an image, similar to a jpg file. If it is created from a text file it has a text layer that can be indexed and modified, etc. It's quite easy to move a text or rtf file into pdf format, but a totally different matter to go the other way.

I think the problem is that Legacy is a genealogical tool, not a reporting tool. The reporting section is very cumbersome and has no real formatting capabilities beyond the bare minimum. It might be better for them to partner with another company/program for the reporting functions. So far the main use I've seen in the report feature is to dump reports to the printer for proofreading and database corrections. I could never conceive of using it to create a document for publication.

I did try to create one rtf report and got a single page that told me I could now import into my word processor and create an index because all the headings used heading tags. Very convenient, but the rest of the report was blank. (grin)

Jim