All programs, whether genealogy ones or otherwise, can only produce what is allowed by software specifications. For examaple it is not possible to have indices in a .txt file, the number itself will appear, but not superscripted. Nor will such a file allow diagrams. In general, and I am not saying always it is restrictions such as these which limit the form of the output.

I do not suggest that is the sole reason only mostly! I imagine some are not available because nobody thought that someone might wish to produce something in a format which is never used for that purpose (can't think of an example at present though).

RTFs are a constant problem as different programs seem to have different interpretations of the specification, so there is a lack of consistency between programs - about the only thing which is constant with RTFs :-).

As someone else observed wrt to PDFs the one in question could simply have been to big for the PC no matter how much RAM was available. I've never had a problem with them, but I am never likely to have 400 pages either.

HTML does allow indices and have yet to find them not appearing as superscripts, and I produce many thousands of Legacy generated HTML pages each month.

There were problems with Sources when V7 was first released but apart from an odd unusual one which crops up occasionally, I would say they have now been resolved. All software has their own idiocincracies which to someone used to another similar product (and that is not a comment directed at yourself, as I have no idea as to your experience with other software) might be regarded as a bug. I did not, btw, suggest that you were asking for a wordprocessor, simply that the discussion was yet again drifting in that well documented direction.

New Tutorial: Embed Blogger RSS feed into your Website
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England

CE Wood wrote:
I am not asking Legacy to be a word processor.  I am asking that,
when a report is Previewed and there are check boxes for printing
various types of files, that those options be produced in whatever
format which has a checkbox.

The simplest would be a text file because then you could format the
file in your word processor.

When the opening page allows you to choose Index Options, you assume
that the indices will be produced in whatever format is allowed, i.e.
Screen/Printer, Text file, HTML, RTF, PDF.

When the Preview shows you a report that includes indices, you
assume that when produced in one of the formats with a check box,
that the indices will be produced when you choose one of those
formats.

This does not happen!  The indices are missing!!!

THAT is what the problem is.

CE