Pretty much each to his own, but here's how I reason it:

Kathy Smith writes a Carneal family book.
John Brown uses Kathy's books in his Carneal work.
David Anderson inherits John Brown's work. David then goes on to add
to the Carneal family, trying to keep it up to date.
Minnie Carneal uses David's file (Information that Kathy entered) to
correct her own Carneal file.

Finally, I come along. I get this from Minnie. In my sources, Minnie
is the source, I got it from her; I did not get it from Kathy, John,
or David. So in your case, I would advocate your Uncle is the source.

Robert