James:

I can't directly answer your questions, because I haven't yet used To
Dos in my file (although I plan to).  I wanted to reply to share what
I do, as an alternative, in regards to your second question of "ow to
tell if I've looked at a source before, what I looked for, and what I
found".

Being an accountant and auditor, I've grown up with spreadsheets, and
make extensive use of Excel in my genealogy research.  My method is
more effort than many people have, but I find it helps my
organization, especially in regards to your second point.

Essentially, I transcribe the information I find from most sources
into a spreadsheet, and enter the data into my Legacy file from that
spreadsheet.  For example, I have a file for census information.
Within the workbook are multiple tabs, one for each census from which
I have information.  Columns record all of the information from the
census, plus identifying information (e.g. RINs), and other
information I wish to add (for example, I record the date I pulled the
record, what source, maiden names and MRINs when applicable, and
notes).  I have similar files for information obtained from cemeteries
(be it online sites, cemetery records, or actual visits), BMD
information (indexes like the SSDI) and city directories.  So far the
only records I have not transcribed are data found in other people's
family tree files, newspapers and obituaries, and BMD certificates.

While this is a double-entry method (and thus, as stated requires more
time to maintain), I find the files are invaluable to determine, at a
quick glance, what information I have from whom and from where.  As a
further example, I have a census index tab with some formulas that
show me at a quick glance for each member of my genealogy file which
census I have found them and which remain to be researched.

Scott