From: James Cook [mailto:jc1...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:46 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] Compound Sources

Wondering about how to dealing with compound sources in Source Writer?

I'm working with several newspapers currently, and they are falling
into this compound area for me.  Of course there is the newspaper's
information itself - place, title, page and column stuff.  But then
there is the place where I found it - NewspaperArchive, GenealogyBank
or Obituaries, or microfilm at the local research center.

When choosing the Source Writer template, it is possilble to choose
either the newspaper or the archive as the driver.  I initially
started with the archive, so would enter a Master Source for that, and
then each detail prompts for a "citing" field, which is more or less
free-from for the newspaper bits.  While this seems to be the 'best
fit' as far as Source Writer prompting goes, it is also possible to
start with the newspaper as the driver.  In that case, I enter a
Master Source for the newspaper and, perhaps breaking form a bit,
choose the option something about 'online database by the publisher'
(not in front of it just now).  I choose that option because it gives
me prompt for the main URL and another field that defaults to a value
of "online archives".  In these fields I enter the URL to the archive
(which may not be the publisher), such as www.newspaperarchives.com,
and edit the default to say something like "NewspaperARCHIVES online
archives" instead.  That is all in the Master Source that way.  Now,
the details prompts pertain only the the article in question.

I think I prefer the second method.  If the end goal of citations is
for someone else to retrace your research if they so choose, it seems
to me the newspaper would get higher billing than the archive I found
it in (they might not have a subscription, or live in a different
country from my research center or who knows).  I also like that the
various newspapers are listed in my Master Source list instead of just
archives - but my tendencies are towards splitting.

So I ask what the thoughts are on one way vs the other?  It seems
Legacy would nudge me down the first path (I say so because the
template prompts seem to fit more exactly), but at least my logic says
the second is better.
Thoughts?