Hi Larry,

My cousin, Amy Kimball Stoddard, has lived and worked in
Denmark for many years and she is also an enthusiastic
genealogist.  I was also curious about how Denmark divided
the country for governing, and I sent your questions along
to Amy.  I recognize that your research in Denmark may be
limited to that one person who was the U.S. Ambassador, but
figured you, and possibly others may gain something from
Amy's explanation about the history of Danish political
boundaries.  Here is what Amy replied.

"On the subject of Danish government:
The "AMT" does not exist anymore.  About 5-6 years ago they
reformed the map to centralize government.  I guess that an
AMT could be like a prefecture.  Then that includes a whole
lot of KOMMUNEs. which might be like a county.  Think there
are 5 major REGIONs now, down from 13 AMTs.  For example, I
used to live in Fyns Amt, Middelfart Kommune.  Fyn is an
island and had its own AMT.  Now we are a part of a large
REGION SYDDANMARK that links us to the mainland, Jutland.
København kan mean quite a few things, depending on what you
are searching for and when.  Of course, it is our capital.
København also was an AMT and also had Københavns Kommune
that was at the core and it functioned like an AMT in itself
(probably due to the size of the population).  Now the whole
area is called REGION HOVEDSTADEN (capital) and Bornholm is
also part of it.  The rest of the island of Sjælland is
called REGION SJÆLLAND.
If this person needs to find some location/whatever, then
just say the word."

Additionally Amy supplied links to three separate Wikipedia
sites, two of them are in Danish, and the third is in
English.  I'm including them here not as links, but simply
as texual entries.

In English - Counties of Denmark at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Denmark<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Denmark>

In Danish - Danmarks regioner  at
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danmarks_regioner

In Danish -Søgeresultater (Search Results) at
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciel:S%C3%B8gning/Danmarks_amter_(1970-2006

I hope this is of use to you and others in pursuit of
information on Denmark,

John Zimmerman
Mesa, AZ