Until 1889 there wasn’t a County in England called London. The only place to
officially have the title London was the City of London – the square mile. A
very small area from the Tower in the east to Fleet Street in the west.
Everywhere else was part of Middlesex (north of the Thames), Surrey (south of
the Thames), Essex or Kent. Then in 1889 a new County was created administered
by the London County Council and took in quite a lot of what had previously
been in Middlesex, Surrey and a small part of Kent. Middlesex, Surrey and Kent
continued as smaller counties bordering onto London. This continued until 1965
when a new entity Greater London was created that took in the existing County
of London, together with most of the rest of Middlesex, more of Surrey and some
of Kent, Essex and Hertfordshire. At that point silly things happened, such as
Staines that had always been in Middlesex moved into Surrey and Kingston which
housed the County Hall for Surrey was in Greater London.

Sadly, Middlesex doesn’t exist now as a County. It’s name only really existing
in terms of Middlesex County Cricket and the like.

But, please NEVER suffix a county name with the word County (ie Middlesex is
just that, not Middlesex County). The only exception in Great Britain (and the
UK loves exceptions!) is County Durham. And please don’t attempt to squeeze
British place names into a four field format. E.g in the east of London was
Stepney, Middlesex, England and later it was Stepney, London, England

For a definition of the County of London see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_of_London

Jack