 From: Ron Ferguson <ronfergy....@tiscali.co.uk>
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:57 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Ancestor book report - spouse events

Paul,

Legacy is a relational database and uses Access. What it emphatically is not is
a wordprocessor, nor in my view should it ever contain one.

In the same way as it creates basic websites it creates basic reports. Using
other software Legacy generated webpages can be changed. Save reports as rtf
files and they can be amended in WORD or OO.org Writer.

As a programmer you should know that programs are designed to fulfill specific
functions, in the case of Legacy to store data and enable its retrieval. The
rest is a bonus.

Ron Ferguson
http://www.fergys.co.uk/

Paul Richardson <pl.richards...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,

We use doxygen for producing some pretty decent looking manuals for our
software products. I agree its not the easiest to use, and can be a bit quirky
at times but in the end it works and it means every time a change is made to
the software the manual reflects this change provided the developers follow a
simple set of rules. In this way the manual is always up to date and matches
the software.

In the case of family research, its all very well collecting lots of facts and
spending lots of money in researching ancestors, storing it away in some
database, but until you publish this information in some way, either on the
internet or in a book, then no one else in your family is aware of the extend
and wealth of knowledge you've discovered and there-in lies the crux of family
history.

I've only used 2 family history packages in anger. Generations which is no more
and Legacy. I bought Legacy because of the reviews which indicated it was the
best of all of them at producing reports, but the issues I have found by trying
to use it in anger has left me wondering that if this is the best, then there's
a heck of long way to go.

Based on my recent experiences I think I'll submit some of the issues
encountered to the Legacy developers.

regards
Paul