Mike,

What I mean is that, when I generate a surname list showing only the
surname "UNKNOWN", there will be a long list of people in the surname list
that follow the following format:

UNKNOWN, John Thomas
UNKNOWN, Michael James
etc.
etc.

Then in addition to these persons with unknown surnames, there will be a
few people with KNOWN surnames and KNOWN given names, in alphabetical
order, some before the UNKNOWN surnames and some after the UNKNOWN
surnames.  In my case, there are something like 354 people with surnames
listed as UNKNOWN, and three people listed before them alphabetically: e.g.:

BAKER, Susan A.
COMSTOCK, Mary Elizabeth
THOMAS, Edward
UNKNOWN, John Thomas