From: John Lisle [mailto:leg...@johnlisle.com]
Sent: April-09-15 12:18 AM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Chasing the market [was: Any Way to Mark a PERSON ...]

Jay,

Your (and my?) idea of what the market requires may be different from what
Legacy's management feels is necessary.

Several years ago, an aggressive effort was made to create international
versions. That added greatly to its market.

L7 added mapping, improved privacy, source writer, and several other features
that were driven by market needs.

L7.5 added FamilySearch support. Although this was at first needed to support
their LDS customers, this is now used by many other users now that FamilySearch
tree is open to all.

L8 added shared events, live Potential Problem Alerts, auto checking for
duplicates additions, improved media handling, auto date sorting of events and
children as they are added, etc etc. - all features we use most every day.
(Maybe not Shared events for TNG users... :-))

--> all of these were driven by serious requests from the user base and from
competitive pressures. That is definition of market driven.

I know that many of the changes we want require some major work on the Legacy
infrastructure. That is happening.

What you and I whine about most often are the small 10 cent changes that could
make our lives easier as we go about our business.

I would like to see an L8.1 that picks up a number of these changes.

But, there are some changes, like the same-sex marriage one, that seems to need
to have certain major infrastructure work done first.

Shared events took years to come to fruition. Legacy wanted to do it right,
and, mostly, I think they have.

My hallucination is that when they can do same-sex relationships, it will be
done in a classy manner. And most of us will have so few of them in our family
files that it will take just hours to make what we have right.

john.