“Brad Chacos

Senior Editor, PCWorld

    May 27, 2016 9:01 AM

Microsoft stepped on the gas in its quest to drive Windows 7 and 8 users to
Windows 10 over the past couple of weeks, rolling the upgrade out as a
Recommended update. Watch out! The only behavior that could deny the Windows 10
upgrade before—closing the pop-up by pressing the X in the upper-right
corner—now counts as consent for the upgrade, and worse, the upgrade
installation can automatically begin even if you take no action whatsoever.

It’s nasty business, and it’s tricking legions of happy Windows 7 and 8 users
into Windows 10. Over the past week, I’ve received more contact from readers
about this issue than I have about everything else I’ve written over the rest
of my career combined. But beyond merely burning bridges with consumers, these
forced, non-consensual upgrades could have more insidious consequences.”

CE

From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of Stan
Sent: Saturday, June 4, 2016 3:13 PM
To: 'Legacy User Group' <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] [Legacy] Ancestor Book Report Issue

Hi Ronald

Not sure if it still happens but  Microsoft did install software on my computer
without my knowledge or explicit agreement with disastrous consequences.

I was silly enough to allow Microsoft to install Windows 10 on my computer very
shortly after its release. All went well for a couple of days. I quite liked it

I gave it no permission to apply updates automatically. I may have had the
ability to opt out but certainly the fact that it was going to update without
my permission was not drawn to my attention. I was surprised to note that while
I was asleep the night after installation it downloaded over  100Mbs of  update
sand installed  them without my express permission.  I actually looked quickly
for a setting to prevent that but did not locate it, Windows 10 was all new at
that stage,

2 days later “in the dark of night” it was again updating without my knowledge
or when the power went off during a storm and my hard disk was corrupted.  It
had to be reformatted

The local Computer shop that restored the system  (but none of the files that I
hadn’t backed up externally) advised that there were 4 other computers that had
been brought to them with the identical problem following the power outage.
None had specifically agreed for Microsoft to update their computer whilst they
slept

Whether it still does or not I don’t know.  But Microsoft did install software
on my computer in the dark of night without my known agreement or permission .

Cheers Stan