On 2 Feb 2017 at 23:36, Robert57P_gmail wrote:

> One problem you may have run into with Legacy 6 and Win7:  Windows 7
> "protects" some of the folders that used to be open.  By default, the
> older Legacy versions (I forget when they changed it) used to install in some
> of these folders that are now "protected".

No, it is the NEW Legacy version (8 and above) that by default installs
itself into protected folders.

I still have Legacy 7.5 on my computer, and it is installed in

E:\Legacy\

with the data files in

E:\Legacy\Data

and pictures in

E:\Legacy\pictures

I routinely copied these backwards and forwards between my desktop computer
(running Windows XP) and my laptop computer (running Windows 7) with no
problems, just a simple batch file did it.

Legacy 8, by default, installs itself inder

C:\Program Files\

which IS a directory protected by Windows, and doesn't allow data files to be
kept under it (as the older versions of Legacy did), so it keeps data files
under the My Documents folder,.wherever that may be.

I set up Legacy 8 differently, to install its program files into

E:\Legacy8

and its data files in

E:\Leg8Data

That makes it easier for me to copy the data files to a USB flash drive to
transfer to my Laptop. And those directories, like the ones created by older
version of Legacy, are not protected by Windows. But the \Program Files\ one
is.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: sha...@dunelm.org.uk