Michele, your current tip contains the following: "Excel can't handle pre-1901
dates so you will have a problem sorting by columns."

Excel Does not have a problem with dates prior 1901. It can handle all formats
of dates. I have several spreadsheets with some having thousands of records
with dates ranging between 0900 and present. I can sort, and filter all records
correctly.

Perhaps you are referring to dates with prefixes. We sometimes think items such
as "bef" Or "c" as dates. Technically they are not components of a date. When
you add them to a date, they are interpreted as a character string, not a date.
As a character string, the entries are not sorted as a date.

If this is the case, then excel can still properly sort. You may have to define
a format, a relatively simple process, or perform a simple cleanup.

Pete