Hi

Yes, you should be merging the multiple files into one. Apart from the
issue of making multiple backups you are also having to maintain
information on the same person, who is common between multiple parts of the
family, twice. And if you match my tree you will find out that there are
multiple people who are in multiple parts of the trees.

 The first thing to do is to take a full set of backups for all of the
trees, and then make NO changes to them until you are complete. Secondly,
decide which one of them is the MASTER and make a copy of it as the new
tree.

You will then add each of the other trees to the new tree. In your case the
number of duplicated people should be minimal and you should be able to run
the standard merge function. For the duplicated people it should then ask
you to merge the records into one merged person. For each of those you will
need to decide which parts of each person you need to keep, if they are
different.

After completing each merge you need to verify that it is good and take
another backup of the merged file, because you might need to step back and
rerun again.

Finally, at the end check through to see if you have multiple trees in the
new model. Ideally you should not, unless you had them as independent trees
in the original files, but it is worth looking and then decide what do with
them - delete or find out whether they are a duplicate.

Now you just have one tree to maintain and no duplicate people.

Good luck.

Regards

Chris