From: LegacyUserGroup <legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com> On Behalf Of
Cathy Pinner
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:24 PM
To: Legacy User Group <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Adding a narrative event

I guess we all develop our own style for adding census data and ways to make
sure the information isn't duplicated in reports.

I mainly work with English censuses.
I transcribe the census and put that in the Census Event notes for the head of
household and for my person of interest if they're not related to the head of
household. I also put the transcription into the Source Details text so for
other household members it is readily available by clicking up the source.
I use the Description field for the name of the head of household and the
relationship to this particular person. For Head of household I leave it blank.
If someone isn't at home and I can't find them in the census, I leave the Place
field blank and use the Description to say they weren't home ...
Obviously I've edited the Event Sentences so they make sense given the way I
use the fields. I occasionally use a Sentence Override if my standard sentence
doesn't fit the situation - eg for people in institutions whether military,
hospital, workhouse, ...
I then only add notes to other household members if there is something
unexpected about their name or age or place of birth.
So in a report the full transcript will only be there once.
Note the census source for the household doesn't need to be changed for each
person. So it can be added to all relevant fields for all household members
from the Source Clipboard with a click or two.

Cathy