Hi Wes... I remember wrestling with that problem. I found that if I
regularly do:
1. Backup
2. List Cleanup
3. Backup
4. Check/Repair
5. Backup
6. Compact Family File
7. Backup
8. Check/Repair
9. Backup

It DOES take a while to do all that on a large file, but it saves headaches
& panic attacks. If any of the Check/Repair steps gets the error message, I
move on to the next step (Backup). Hope that helps.
- Evelyn