Anthony <o...@...> writes:

>One thing I should point out, though, is that the ODbL does not *say*
>"you can make Produced Works and release them as CC-BY".

>To the extent that you are allowed to offer a license on a Produced
>Work, that license only applies to *your contribution* to the Produced
>Work.  It does not apply to the "preexisting material".  The license
>you have for the preexisting material, i.e. the Database, is given by
>the original Licensor of the database, and is ODbL, not CC-BY, or
>CC-BY-SA, or anything else.

Indeed, this is another point of contention where different people say different
things about what the ODbL permits or does not permit.  And it's not some
abstract conundrum but part of the everyday business of the project - rendering
data into map tiles and distributing them.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>