Mike,

I have provisionally added Francis' suggested wording but would like
to run it by other License Working Group members. It may help NearMap
and similar situations.

The major change in all this, compared to the earlier versions, is the concept that you may now contribute data that is not re-licensable, right? I.e. while we require that you agree to the CT, you can still add data that is, say, "some form of share-alike only" which would then have to be removed later. Is that correct?

Question 1:

How would we, later, during some form of relicensing, know which is which? Is there some way, or even requirement, for the contributing user to tell us which license any derived material that he's contributing comes under?

Question 2:

Say we have a die-hard "my contributions are mine alone" person who wants to be asked for his ok in any future license change, thereby circumventing the usual "if 2/3 of active mappers agree then your data remains in the new database" rule.

Could someone, of that disposition, let's call him A, not simply do the following: Make a contract with person B that says "Dear B, you may use my data but only under ODBL 1.0 and nothing else"; then instruct B to upload the stuff to OSM. Now the data is in OSM, but in the event of any later license change, B (and therefore A) would have to be consulted.

Crucially, this restriction would also apply should A ever lose interest, or die, or be otherwise unreachable. This would effectively kill the whole reason why we have the license change rule in the first place.

Suggestion:

If my above thoughts are correct, and if this cannot be remedied - i.e. if we have to accept that there will always be "fully CT compatible" data and other, "not relicensable without agreement from rights holder" data - then may I suggest that we devise a way to flag such data in the database, and to somehow make the restricted-use data "inert" so that we don't (again, over the years) create a situation where many contributors erect their work on a foundation that may be taken away from them at any time?

I.e., when you upload something then you should explicitly say: "What I'm uploading here is to the best of my knowledge free of rights of others", or you would say "What I'm uploading here is compatible with OSM now but subject to third-party IP rights". In the latter case, others could either not edit your data at all (except of course deleting it), or they would at least see some kind of indication in their editor that basically tells them this data is not as free as we'd like it to be, and if they possess enough raw material to replace the data with something fully CT compatible, they should do so.