On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Jonathan Harley <j...@spiffymap.net> wrote:
> On 02/02/11 16:15, Anthony wrote:
>> What is meant by "content is unmodified"?  Obviously the printed base
>> map is going to be modified from the original database.  So under your
>> interpretation, the part about the content being unmodified either
>> prohibits everything, or allows everything.  Or is there some other
>> interpretation for "content is unmodified" that you can think of?
>>

> I have assumed it refers to the geodata, which is unmodified unless you
> start changing the latitudes and longitudes of points. That's the only
> reading I can think of that makes any sense of the phrase "unmodified form"
> in the context of map data (in fact, of any kind of data).

It couldn't possibly refer to the geodata, because the license is
usable for more than just geodata.

My take is that it refers to the separate and independent work.  So
that means you can make any modifications you want, so long as those
modifications are CC-BY-SA.  These modifications are made under the
clause allowing you to make derivative works, not under the clause
allowing you to use the work as part of a collection.  It's only when
you start adding non-CC-BY-SA works to the collection that you no
longer can make modifications.

> Clearly no rendering of any map is going to be unmodified in the sense of
> having identical sequences of 0s and 1s to the database, in which case there
> could be no such thing as a collective work based on a database, ever. Is
> that what you mean by prohibits everything or allows everything?

Yes.

> It seems
> clear to me that the CC licenses are attempting to allow stuff but impose
> conditions, not to prohibit everything.

I agree, and that's why I think my interpretation of what "separate
and independent" means is correct.

I think you have to look at the requirements of "separate",
"independent", and "unmodified" together as a whole, not as
independent requirements.  CC-BY-SA 3.0 is more clear on this, though
you could still argue that it has the same loophole.