On 02/02/11 17:05, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
Jonathan Harley wrote:
Clearly no rendering of any map is going to be unmodified in the
sense of having identical sequences of 0s and 1s to the database,
in which case there could be no such thing as a collective work
based on a database, ever.
For print, yes, that's about the size of it.

I don't see what print's got to do with it. Any rendering, whether to paper or to a screen, changes the bits used; if you take that as the meaning of modified, then there could be no "unmodified" renderings of any database, which means in turn that there could be no collective works, so the conditions about being separate and independent would be irrelevant.

But I don't think that "rendered" is a sensible meaning of "modified" in this context, any more than changing the font or line length would be considered modifying a text.

Jonathan.

--
Jonathan Harley    :     Managing Director     :     SpiffyMap Ltd

Email: m...@spiffymap.com   Phone: 0845 313 8457   www.spiffymap.com
Post: The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ