Am 11.08.2011 12:00, schrieb ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen:
Thanks Simon for your constructive reply.
(contrary to those that call any confliction opinion a troll)

But the EC directive does not oblige us to license
data, it says HOW-TO in case of IF.

If we choose for no-license or just PD
(give it to the world) no directive will stop us doing that.

That is why I said: the necessity of a license has
never been subject of discussion (but for some incidental
threads).

The default condition is that your rights to your work of art, database (even in the case of the sui generis database rights) etc. are protected. If you want
to allow somebody to use your work, you have to grant them the rights to do
so, this is called a license. Even in the extreme case of essentially allowing
everything to be done by anybody, you still have to state this. In the many
countries that do not have an PD equivalent, this again boils down to a
license.

I believe that our data will be most beneficiary to the
people of this world if our license terms are minimized
(so PD).
So do I, but that is a completely different discussion. The compromise
between the PD and the viral share-a-like license fractions is the ODbL,
trying to undo that will -not- result in a PD OSM database.

Simon