The use of the term "Database" in an intellectual property context has essentially nothing to do with the CS/IT concept of a database. The statement on the wiki is correct, and Alexs statement was a bit misleading.
I don't think this discussion has made any progress since the last time it came up. I'm still waiting for a concrete (geocoding) use case which we would reasonably want to allow without triggering share-a-like. Simon Am 28.02.2013 05:54, schrieb Jake Wasserman: > Alex, > I'm a little confused. The way I interpret your comment, merely > storing ODbL and non-ODbL data in the same database triggers share > alike. But on the use cases wiki page > (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/License/Use_Cases), Case 4 says: > 'It makes no difference whether you store the data sets separately, or > together in the same "database" software, whether that is a RDBMS, > NOSQL, filesystem or anything else. So long as the other data isn't > derived from OSM, the result is a Collective Database, not a > Derivative Database.' In other words, storing ODbL and non-ODbL data > together does not trigger share alike. > > Just trying to get some clarification. > > Thanks, > Jake > > > > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Alex Barth <[email protected] > <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote: > > Rob - as long as you don't mix ODbL data and other data in the > same database, ODbL's share alike cause doesn't kick in. So using > the OSM tiles on your web site doesn't mean that data in your web > site is affected. I recommend reading the ODbL, it's pretty clear > that way http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/ > > (And yes, I know, an open license shouldn't be that long and that > complicated, but that's another story). > > > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Rob <[email protected] > <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote: > > >> It would appear that any and all data associated with a > >> website or mobile app becomes fair game once OSM data is used. > > > What? No. No, that isn't true. I'm no fan of share-alike but > that is > > trivially disprovable. > > Where is the line in the sand? > > For example I have a website which is driven by several > databases whichinclude everything from website members info t > > I then integrate OSM into the website by including interactive > map tiles, address searches (geocoding), POI placement / > inclusion, routing, etc... > > Sent from my iPhone > > On Feb 27, 2013, at 4:54 PM, Richard Fairhurst > <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote: > > > WhereAmI wrote: > >> It would appear that any and all data associated with a > >> website or mobile app becomes fair game once OSM > >> data is used. > > > > What? No. No, that isn't true. I'm no fan of share-alike but > that is > > trivially disprovable. > > > > Richard > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > View this message in context: > > http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/OSM-legal-talk-License-question-user-clicking-on-map-tp5750253p5751314.html > > Sent from the Legal Talk mailing list archive at Nabble.com. > > > > _______________________________________________ > > legal-talk mailing list > > [email protected] > <mailto:[email protected]> > > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/legal-talk > > _______________________________________________ > legal-talk mailing list > [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/legal-talk > > > > _______________________________________________ > legal-talk mailing list > [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/legal-talk > > > > > _______________________________________________ > legal-talk mailing list > [email protected] > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/legal-talk
_______________________________________________ legal-talk mailing list [email protected] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/legal-talk
